Thursday, October 6, 2011

Google Vs. Librarian


This is the message that greets you (imprinted on the carpet) when you step in the door at the Gungahlin Public Library in Canberra, Australia. Ironically, I immediately Googled Neil Gaiman to see who he was and what his credentials were for making such a strong statement about the value of librarians.

Turns out he's one of the top ten living post-modern writers, according to the Dictionary of Literary Biography. So he should know what he's talking about, I would say.

That being said, I would also say there's no contest here: no adversarial relationship between Google and librarians. Google is the librarian's best friend, and I frankly can't remember what we librarians did in the days before Google. I do remember, though, that it took us a lot longer to do it than it does now.

No comments: