Thursday, March 20, 2008

Flu Pandemic Wiki

When I first saw the URL I thought it was someone sniveling about their latest illness, but i went to http://www.fluwikie.com/ (yes, that's wiki with an "e") and found out it's an entirely serious site devoted to surveillance of H5N1 avian flu. It includes data from all sorts of national, international and statewide oganizations. It seems to be very authoritative, although I had a heck of a time figuring out who the editors were. I guess that's what makes a wiki so very wiki-like. It's very democratic...all contributors are equally authoritative, or appear to be.

On another note: it occurred to me that this site and/or others like it will probably become very important in the days and years to come. It's like they say about earthquakes and San Francisco: "It's not a question of IF, but WHEN."

No comments: